PSLB Installation Instructions
The PSLB is a 2 channel, 3 layer lightning protection board designed to protect 24vac pump start and master valve outputs on an irrigation controller from the harmful affects of a lightning strike or a power surge.
To install this board you'll need
- Drill with a 9/32 inch drill bit
- 7/16 nut driver or socket
- 7/16 wrench
- Phillips or Standard head screwdriver
- Center punch
- Sledge hammer to drive ground rod
- 18 gage stranded wire, two colors
- Copper ground rod
- 6-10 gage solid (preferably) copper wire
- Grounding clamp or welding kit to connect copper wire to ground rod
Use the following instructions to install the PSLB board
- Choose a location inside the irrigation controller enclosure to mount the PSLB, you'll need approximately 2.5 inches for clearance. A metal surface is preferred. You'll need access to the back of the surface you've chosen so that the mounting screws can be fed through the surface.
- Tape the template onto the surface for the desired location of the board.
- Center punch the center of each of the four mounting holes
- Drill each mounting hole with the 9/32 inch bit. Remove the drill template.
- From the back of the mounting surface, push one of the ¼ x ½ inch hex screws with a loc washer through the hole. Thread one of the ¼ x 7/8 inch hex standoffs onto the screw and tighten with the 7/16 wrench and socket.
- Repeat step five for the remaining three mounting holes.
- Place the board onto the standoffs and using the remaining four screws, secure the board to the standoffs. Tighten the screws with 7/16 inch socket. Do not over tighten!
- Connect a length of 18-gage wire from the controller's common to the C1 Terminal on the side of the PSLB board labeled “To Controller”. Make sure to strip about a quarter inch of insulation off both ends of the wire prior to securing it in the terminal blocks of the controller and PSLB board.
- Using and different color 18-gage wire, connect a length of wire from the controller's master valve or pump start output to the 1 Terminal on the side of the PSLB board labeled “To Controller”.
- Make the field wire connections to the PSLB. Connect the field common to the C1 Terminal on the side of the PSLB board labeled “To Pump Start”. Again make sure to strip about a quarter inch of insulation off the ends of the wire prior to securing it in the terminal blocks of the PSLB board.
- Connect the field hot to the 1 Terminal on the side of the PSLB board labeled “To Pump Start”
- The terminals labeled C2 and 2 can be used if there is an additional controller activating the pump start or master valve. C2 and 2 could also be used to protect incoming or outgoing 24vac power. NOTE: if more than one controller is activating a pump start or master valve, make sure the electrical connections from each controller is physically isolated from the electrical connections of the other controller. Use Control Tech's isolation relay part# CTU-IR to isolate the connections.
- Install the ground rod per the enclosed Ground Rod Installation Sheet
- Run the 6-10 gage ground rod wire from the ground rod using the fewest number of bends in the wire. If you do have to bend the wire, bend it in a wide sweeping fashion.
- Connect the ground rod wire to the ground rod lug of the PSLB.
- Test the system to make sure all is working properly.
There are no user serviceable parts on the PSLB. Should the board become damaged in the coarse of doing its job, the board could possibly be repaired depending on the severity of the damage. Under normal conditions the PSLB should automatically reset.
There may be some unusual circumstances arise in some installations. If you need technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
© Control Tech USA, Inc 2005